If you have myopia, wearing glasses or contact lenses may be a problem for you, aesthetic or other.
The laser eye surgery is something that sound to good to be true, as their promises are fantastic, like 20/20 vision, and with 95% possibility to not having to wear your glasses again. Fantastic, isn't it?
How does surgery work? Be careful, you may feel uncomfortable with the images.
Like everything else that has to do with our looks, there are a lot of money in this case, so you should look for a good surgeon before deciding to do an operation like this, since the doctors will not tell you everything about it.
Fortunately, the internet is a source of information doctors 'forget' to say about its side effects.
Problems from Lasik (Part 1 and 2)
The most common side effects
Dry eyes, blurred vision, double vision, bright circles at night (Halos), and the return of the myopia are the most common side effects that may happen to someone and sometimes these side effects remains for a long time (or forever).
And consider that we still don't know anything about any problems may occur after many years.
In addition to its side effects, there are many reports that the Lasik method is dangerous. In fact, in 2008, the US Food and Drug Administration announced that it would review the safety of laser surgeons, mainly because of the complaints they received. From 1998 to 2006, FDA received about 140 complaints, so expect this figure to have grown a lot since then .
Lasik's actual side effects
One of the most important problem is the LASIK flap, the thin flap of the cornea that is lifted up during surgery and then it repositioned. According to many doctors and videos you can find on Youtube, the flap is actually never fully cured, and according to studies, problems can occur even after two years of surgery .
In 2006, in a meta-analysis by WebMD, they noticed that the chances of losing your sight due to infection after such an operation are 1 to 10,000 . Although there is a smaller percentage by the same problem caused by contact lenses (1 to 2000), it remains equally high.
The US Food and Drug Administration has recently added a special LASIK information page and, in its side effects, it also has the potential for blindness .
One can say that by doing this surgery eyesight problems will be disappear. However, besides being expensive for many people, you also have to do and some other things after that, such as using collyrium, avoiding dust in the first few days, wearing sunglasses all day, etc.
Remember that laser surgery is NOT a cure, as I've read in some discussions, but a kind of - special - contact lens. Not a single doctor can guarantee that at some point in the future, your myopia will not come back and so you will not need glasses again (meaning your myopia will not increase to the point that you can not see clear without the need of glasses again).
On the internet there are too many pages with the problems of these interventions. Regarding the problems mentioned, in the end I will add some websites for more information.
You need to know
- The Lasik method is not so safe. Problems in your eyesight appear more often than doctors admit. Watch Dr. Lauranell Burch , who asked the FDA to ban the Lasik method.
- Dr. Morris Waxler, who was responsible for licensing Lasik, is leading the campaign to ban Lasik by picking up signatures .
- Over 1,100 people, mostly people who had bad experiences from Lasik, supported online Dr. Morris Waxler, while you can also read their cases .
- One of Taiwan's top surgeons, Ray Tsai, stopped Lasik surgeries because there were many complications even after 10 years .
- The dry eye caused by Lasik has become a goldmine for the company that makes the Restasis drops, which are given by doctors and that do not work for everyone (long-term use required in many cases) . According to research, a significant percentage of patients will develop dry eye from the surgery .
- Doctors are certainly not willing to tell you the whole truth, as the cost of the machines is huge, so they want to somehow cover the cost and make a profit.
- You can not know the physician's credibility and experience, as well as what machines he uses. You may be lucky if you find your answers online.